Re: [TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

To: ChetMoore <ChetMoore@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:01:50 -0400

ChetMoore wrote:

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by good results???? Low SWR???
Worked well in to africa and Europe, VK and ZL? If you are doing all of
that you don't need any more advice.

Working well... <:-)) Remember everything is relative.

Low SWR? I use a line tuner (MFJ 889C), but it's within the range of the auto tuner of the Icom 756 Pro.
I can hit it with the full legal limit and the tuner doesn't arc over.
I was hearing a PY2 on CW around dusk and could barely make out an EI on SSB a bit later that stations on the East coast were working. OTOH the noise level was close to S-9 yet I was in a QSO with NC, Montana, and the New England area and the weakest station was over S-9. The skip was long but the noise was strong

Now this is referenced to the best antenna (and only antenna) I ever used on 160 prior to this was a droopy dipole. You certainly couldn't have called it an inverted V with the center at 40 feet and the ends at 10. It was also close to 25 years ago.

Yes, I am hearing *stuff* I never heard before two sunspot cycle lows back, but the band is basically a different bad as well.

Now the example in the "ARRL Antenna Handbook," using a bunch of slopers around a tower where the unused ones serve as parasitic reflectors looks really interesting, but those were center fed. I'd think the same would work with half slopers, but I don't have the room to do that any way.

Studying the radiation plots it looks like two oriented on opposite sides of the tower should be sufficient and that will still let me use the 75 meter half wave slopers.

I think tomorrow, or rather today now, would be a good day to take some time off the antenna work, go out to the airport and play. for a couple hours. Those who think car gas is expensive should try burning 14 to 15 gallons of Av Gas per hour. <:-))

73

Roger Halstead (K8RI ARRL Life Member)
Worlds Oldest Debonair (N833R S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com