[TowerTalk] Mounting A Solenoid Balun?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting A Solenoid Balun?
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:52:06 -0700
I'm just finishing up refurbishing a 12 year old A3S and
adding the 40 Meter kit that's been languishing in the
basement for a long time. After researching the various
balun options I decided to go with a solenoid style. Using
the excellent data available on the Web by Tom, W8JI and Ed,
WA2SRQ I'm winding 12 turns of RG-213 on a 4 1/2" PVC form.
Unless I'm missing something that should be in the ballpark
for 40 thru 10 meters.

What I haven't found in the various articles is how the
balun should be mounted. I was planning on just suspending
it under the boom with the long axis parallel to the boom.
Any problems with that configuration? The "scramble" wound
that Cushcraft and other vendors suggest gets tied to the
boom but it occurred to me that perhaps having the boom (or
mast) close to the turns in this configuration might make a
difference. Since I don't find any reference to this in any
of the various articles I've found I suspect it isn't a
problem but wanted to query the wisdom of the assembled
masses none the less.

Thanks for you time and consideration.

73,
Patrick