RE: [TowerTalk] ta33

To: ai9l@core.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] ta33
From: "larryj@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:38:31 -0400
My TA-33 was in the same condition when I bought it used some years ago.
Since it needed a complete complete cleaning and refurbishing before I put
it up, I opened up each trap and cleaned out the spider remains, etc. I
replaced worn out plastic end caps for the traps, cracked driven element
mounting plastic insulators, rusty hardware, etc. I also did a general
cleanup of all the antenna elements and the boom with Scotch Brite pads,
and then painted them with Mosley "Antenna Guard". They still look nice and
shiny.

Looking at the TA-33 manual, with the traps taken apart, I was able to
count the turns on each pair of coils in each trap and determine which
traps were used for each particular element. The manual lists the number of
turns for each coil in each trap. After cleaning up everything, I put it up
and it really worked well. I was surprised that just a 3-element triband
beam could work as well as it did!

Larry K7LJ