Re: [TowerTalk] ARRL Handbooks...

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>,Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ARRL Handbooks...
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:12:59 -0500

Tom- I agree that it is an essential reference for Hams, especially me. ( I need all the help I can get).
However, one of the main limitations of any reference is the index; if it's not listed there, information is lost. The new CD versions make up for the bad indexing because they are searchable; That feature does not depend on the personal whims of editors.
Bill

At 04:50 PM 10/17/2004 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

> I just got my copy of the new ARRL Handbook- While I have

----System Information Platform: Windows 2000 Machine Type: Intel System Version: 5.01.2600 Processor: 586 Physical RAM Installed: 523704 Kb Eudora: Version 5.2.0.9 Mode: Paid Mode Registration #: 8902-2694-7545-6345 MSHTML Version: 6.00 WININET Version: 6.00

not had time to
> look at it much, I can tell you that the indexing is as
bad as ever, and---
> the name "Beverage"  is not even in the index.  (for
years, "coax" or
> "coaxial" was not there, either).
> The thing that might save the index problem is the fact
that they included
> the CD, which is searchable.

As far as technical content, the ARRL Handbooks are among
the better references available to amateurs. They are
reviewed for technical content and the  editors correct
mistakes when called to their attention if the error is
valid.

That makes the ARRL Handbooks a good reference for antennas,
since they are self-correcting over time. Once in a while
something cheesy gets in, but it usually disappears. That
makes them
a good reference overall. I think they do an exceptional job
with the Handbooks.

On the other hand the compendiums, at least when I looked at
them years ago, seem to print much more of what is found in
publications without a technical review process.

73 Tom

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama