Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler mobile resonators dipole

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Scott Fike" <kc0bus@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler mobile resonators dipole
From: "Carl Smidt" <xveoneov@sprint.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:52:53 -0300
Tom just lets his knowledge and long time experience shine through.

The Marconi 1/4 wave vertical, operating in conjunction with a ground system, was a classic in days of old. It was one of the first antenna designs that one learned about in early radio engineering classes.

I have taken the liberty to copy below what 'Google' has to say:

"The simplest vertical is the Marconi which is a quarter-wave radiator above a ground-plane. It has a feedpoint impedance over a perfect ground of 36 ohm. Above real ground it is usually between 50 and 75 ohm. This makes a good match for 50 ohm cable with the shield going to ground. For a given wavelength it is the smallest antenna with reasonable efficiency and so is a popular choice for mobile communication. It can be thought of as half of a dipole with the other half appearing as a virtual image in the ground".

73, Carl VE9OV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>