Re: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points

To: garyejones@cmaaccess.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated anchor guy points
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:44:16 +0000
Gary:

I have engineered at least a 100 installations you are describing. Using a
Steel W section or some Pipe or Structural tubing if sized correctly does not
need to be back guyed.

The UBC or IBC in Chapter 18 has a formula for cantilever post type
foundations. Just use the one for the situation where the post can move. In
chapter 18 also is a table of allowable soils bearing values for both vertical
and horizontal loads. Make sure you use the column for the allowable horizontal
values. The kicker is what soil type you have but I would use the lowest value,
for "loon poop", to be conservative. An additional kicker is; the required set
backs from your property line for non-permanent structures. Your jurisdiction
should be able to help you out with that one. Typically it is 5' or so unless
it is a fence less than 6' high. I have used this type of system for towers up
to 200' Rohn 65 thru Rohn 25.

Let me know I can e-mail a picture of a typical elevated anchor post just prior
to pouring the concrete base.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X