Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:08:05 -0600
Here we go again...making assumptions.  When you are using an
undersized thrust bearing I can see your point Kelly.  Not
everyone is using a CDE (MFJ) Ham or Tailtwister rotor.
Have you ever seen the bearing inside a HDR-300 rotor?
It is dinky and I feel not designed to take a lot of weight...so
the thrust bearing takes most if not all the weight.  Different
rotor/mast/antenna combinations require different designs.
BTW I place a saddle clamp on top of the thrust bearing for
safety purposes just in case I have a senior's moment.

Doug

ve4xt@mts.net wrote:

As much as it pains me to see this thread revived so quickly after it died out the last time (this is well covered in the archives)...

I'm in the bear-the-weight-on-the-rotator camp.

As one has suggested, many bearings have screws designed only to centre the mast. Also, as far as even the HyGain CD45II is concerned, there are more bearings on more races in rotators than in typical thrust bearings.

If this makes rotator failure more frequent, so be it. Think about it: if I have to change out the rotator, that's a fairly simple procedure, even on one that's bearing weight. If I have to change out the thrust bearing, I have to make one end of the mast pass through the thrust bearing. I'd rather lift the antenna-mast assembly the 1/8-inch or so it will take to remove the weight from the rotator than the two feet or more it will take to have the lower end of the mast come out of the tower... From that standpoint, I'd want to make sure the thrust bearing lasts as long as possible. No matter how you cut it, replacing a thrust bearing is a big job, perhaps even mandating lowering all the antennas to the ground.

73, kelly
ve4xt

--
Doug Renwick VA5DX
PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0