Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft D40 SWR question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Rob Santello" <K6DQ@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft D40 SWR question
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:09:47 -0500
Rob:

     The SWR specs for the D-40 in real-life compare with the specs in the
brochures.  When I installed mine, I set the tip lengths for 7.090 MHz per
the instructions.  After I got the antenna onto the mast at 78 feet AGL, I
measured a 200 kHZ 2:1 SWR, just as CC said I would.  Obviously, SWR across
300 kHZ of the 40M band would be greater than 2:1 at the band edges.

     I would recommend this antenna if you want a fairly rugged rotatable
dipole for this band.  The elements droop visibly (my gues is about two feet
at the ends) but my antenna has been up for over three years now without
problems, either mechanical or electrical.  If you really have to have the
full 40M BW, then you'll need a tuner in the shack.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F