RE: [TowerTalk] 8X center migration in a coax choke?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] 8X center migration in a coax choke?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:41:53 -0800
At 08:08 AM 11/17/2004 -0800, Steve Katz wrote:

> ::As for solid-dielectric RG8X type cable, Radioworks is now selling
> precisely that; advertised as "Super RG8X."  This design change obviously
> violates the original RG8X "spec," it would have to with a solid
> dielectric.  To maintain 50 Ohms Zo, they'd have to either make the center
> conductor smaller gauge, or change the cable diameter; not sure which they
> did, but I'd guess they decreased the center conductor gauge to maintain
> the same cable O.D. and still hit 50 Ohms.

Wouldn't this then be something like RG-58? The whole point of RG-8X, as I understand it, is that the dielectric is foamed, and, so lower loss, particularly at high frequencies.

The impedance of a coaxial line is proportional to 1/epsilon *ln(Router/Rinner)

The dominant loss in HF coax is resistive, and primarily from the center conductor, so you'd want to have a bigger center conductor. This would make Router/Rinner a smaller number (and hence, the ln of the ratio smaller). To keep the same impedance, you'd want to make 1/epsilon bigger, which means reducing the dielectric constant (epsilon). RG-8X does this by foaming the dielectric (so the overall epsilon is part air(gas) part plastic).

If so, the "new Super RG8X"