RE: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Dipole VSWR question

To: "'D. Rodman, MD'" <rodman@buffalo.edu>,"'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Dipole VSWR question
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:52:56 -0000
The destructions that came with my Comtek phasing box(s) suggest that each
element be cut about 5% long, the array erected and then observe the
frequency that the minimum amount of power is dumped into the dummy load
that is connected to the 5th port for each direction.  Then you allow a
little (insert not politically correct nationality here) windage for the
differences in frequency, determine a frequency you want to operate at and
adjust all of the elements to this new length, keeping all of them the same
length.  And then you just live with the directional differences.

As I am to lazy to erect a single reference element and make the required
field strength measurements (4 sets of complete measurements, one set for
each beam direction) to determine the efficiency of the array, I assumed
that as my array shows good front to back and front to side ratios I had a
working antenna.  I don't necessarily want to be the loudest signal (but
sometimes I am) on the band, I just want to be a little louder than my
neighbor with a dipole.

I would not expect a current balun to change the resonant frequency (0 ohms
reactance) of a dipole.  I suggest you use your Autek and check your
impedance transformer/phasing lines, including the baluns, to ensure that
they are electrically 1/4 wavelength (0 ohms reactance, ignore SWR) at your
desired frequency.  I found the velocity factor on the 75 ohm coax I used on
my 40m 4 square to be closer to .7 than the .8 the manufacturer specified
and those lines wound up being almost taught between the box and feed
point(s).  The v/f on the lines for my 80m 4 square were very close to mfg
specs.  It has been my experience that once I measured the V/F of a roll of
cable it remained constant throughout the roll, but different rolls may have
different V/F's.

Even though my 4 squares are physically symmetrical I find the frequency
that the array wants to work at is a little different for each direction.
This was determined by observing the dump power vs frequency in each
direction.  Just for yucks, I see perhaps 3 watts to the dummy load at 3505
KHz with 1000 watts driving the array.  At 3600 Khz I'm dumping maybe 9
watts.  At 3700 60 watts and at 3800 110 watts and that's as high in
frequency as I will go.  And the SWR never exceeds 1.2:1 across this range.
To keep track of the health of my array(s) I ignore the SWR and just keep my
eye on the power going into the dummy load.

I'm treading on thin ice here so please don't take the following as gospel.
Something else that may be distorting your observations would be the 1/4
wave (75 ohm) impedance transformer/phasing lines.  With a feed point Z of
35 ohms (ground plane) the Z at the other end of the line will be 165 ohms.
Assuming that the phase shifting box was designed to drive a ground plane
array this would require the 0 degree port match 165 ohms, the 90d port
match 82 ohms (two elements in parallel) and the 180d port match 165 ohms.
With a dipole array there won't be much, if any, impedance transformation
(feed point Z of each dipole may be 75 ohms +/-), the same shifting box
should be designed to match 75 ohms, 36 ohms and 75 ohms.  It would seem to
me that you would wind up with at least a 2:1 SWR if you used a box designed
to feed ground plane elements.  Could it be that we should ignore SWR
readings with 4 squares?

I consider the strong point of my 4 squares as being able to switch away
from interfering sources.  Depending on how far the DX is from me I have
observed as much as 30 db F/B.  I expect at least 20 Db F/B and F/side on
everything except stations at or near the antipode, which ain't all bad.

de Paul, W8AEF