Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding on granite

To: <martin@aa6e.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding on granite
From: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:51:39 -0500
Martin... I have a similar situation but with quite a bit more soil over the
rock. I have a terrible
time getting a ground rod down more than about 4 feet, so I put them in on the
slant. I surrounded
my house with a circle of #4 bare solid copper with 8' copper-clad ground rods
about every 16 feet,
and tied everything to that circle.

The AC service ground is near the front corner of the house and its ground rod
is right on the
circle. The SPG box is by the edge of the deck in the rear of the house, and is
joined by a 20 foot
PVC pipe under the deck to the house where the shack is in the basement, below
grade. The metal SPG
box is right on the circle also, and has a ground rod directly under it joined
to the circle. The
metal SPG box contains a 3/16" thick sheet of copper (from local salvage yard...cheap)
about 12"x12"
on which are mounted I.C.E. coaxial lightning/EMP suppressors (one for each
antenna line, plus 2 to
protect the SteppIR control line and one for the rotator control line.12"x12"
gives plenty of room
for expansion if you stagger the suppressors so the coax lines can go in
between them.)

I have a 30' run of #4 bare solid copper running from the SPG out under the lawn to the base of the
40M vertical, and another to the tower base about 60' out. The tower has 3 ground rods for each tower leg, spaced 16' apart and connected by #4 bare solid copper running out from each leg. The 40M vertical has a rod at its base. For every run >16' I put in another
ground rod about every 16 feet (twice the length of the ground rods). The feedline coax also runs
under the lawn in PVC pipes. If I were to install lightning rods on top of the house, I'd join them
to the ground circle also (unless the local code said different).

I have a long piece of copper pipe running the length of the back of my
operating table. Every piece
of gear is grounded to that single pipe, and it is tied to the SPG panel with
as short a run as
possible of #4 solid copper.

I got most of the ideas from the guys right here on TowerTalk, plus the info
provided on the
Polyphaser and I.C.E. websites. The main point I followed was to insure that
everything was tied
together so potentials will rise and fall at the same rate and time in the
whole system. I even went
through my water pipe system and made sure it was all tied together with #4
since there is some
copper pipe and some PVC pipe in the house.

I could have done it better, and I'll be making some improvements as time and $
permits. I want to
improve the ground run from the SPG into the shack. I want to change to 3" wide
copper strap in some
places. And I'm sure other ideas will come up that make sense. I'm no expert,
but what I did made
sense to me at the time. There's a lot of different opinions about what is best
in the lightning
protection area, and I guess everyone has to make up their own mind as to what
will work best for
them at their location. I hope this helps get you started. And I'm sure there
will be lots of
additional opinions offered to you.

73, Jerry K3BZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Ewing" <martin@aa6e.net>