Re: [TowerTalk] Alfaspid control box?

To: "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alfaspid control box?
From: "VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:30:48 -0000
I imagine you are looking for a circular indictor or meter movement to
display the beam heading.  For myself I am very glad to have the precise
degree readout and not have to use the old style of indicator, plus all the
associated problems with them - like pots going intermittent or open.  Since
the AlfaSPid control unit counts pulses it would be not a simple task to
convert any other box to that, since the types you mention all use a
variable resistance in the rotor to indicate position.  For experimenters, a
PIC processor that counted pulses and displayed the result as a DC voltage
would at least let you use a meter movement. Then how to display the total
720 degrees (360 plus 180 either side of overtravel) becomes a bit messy.

The functions of the "mouse" however can easily be duplicated by a few
resistors and switches built into the housing of your choice. The wiring
info can be made available if it hasn't already.  The mouse style is just a
convenient and inexpensive way to provide this.  I feed  the mouse DB-9
connectors thru a 4 way computer switch box to reduce the number of mice
running around on the desktop and have the actual control boxes up fairly hi
and in a spot not that convenient to reach.  Having enough space within arms
reach is always an issue for me so not taking up valuable realestate with
large control boxes is a big plus for me.

73 Don
VE6JY