[CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?

To: TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>,CQ-Contest Post <cq-contest@contesting.com>, YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:24:34 -0500
Hi all,

Not far into the contest this weekend, we began to have trouble with the TIC
1022E [a 2003 unit]. It exhibits erratic readout and rotation behavior. The
load is an Optibeam 4-el 40m yagi. I recently tightened the drive motor to
eliminate slippage of the ring gear. I suspect something has happened to the
potentiometer that feeds back rotor position back to the controller. A search
of the towertalk archives shows that there have been problems like this in the
past [1996/1997]. I went up the tower to have a look this afternoon, but did
not see enything suspicious. There were no bad external wiring connections,
etc. I sprayed the drive shaft and what looks like the position pot shaft with
contact cleaner from the outside. That did nothing, but I suspect I would have
to disassemble the motor to get the spray into the right places.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com