RE: [TowerTalk] Guy anchor distance from tower base?

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Guy anchor distance from tower base?
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:29:27 -0000
can't cover all circumstances either.  To get a safe design, especially when
you are trying to do something odd like guying a triangular tower to 4
anchors, you must get a qualified engineer to design and approve it.

That said and noting that I am not a qualified engineer for this type of
stuff... just by geometric considerations you can put a tower closer to
something with 3 guy points than 4, assuming the location of the guy points
are on the setback line and are the same distance from the base of the
tower.  I would not expect the distance out from the base of the tower to
change much for 4 guy points vs 3, it is the distance out that determines
the angle to the tower and the side force exerted... and it is the side
force that keeps the tower upright.  Move the buy points in and they pull
down more than out which does not help keep the tower straight up.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net