Re: [TowerTalk] Re: radials for shunt fed tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: radials for shunt fed tower
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:59:48 -0500
I have found I can't directly measure characteristics of the ground itself with what I own so I could make a model give an absolutely accurate gain level. BUT...

If you are comparing two different configurations of the same or similar antennas, IF you make your best guess at the ground, AND hold the ground constant in your comparison of the configurations (and everything else you can hold constant), the DIFFERENCE (not the absolute value) tends to make it to reality. Obviously you have to use the same program, configuration and avoid its technical "gotcha's."

While this does not satisfy those who want to know the actual value, and correctly point out why one won't have it, a difference or comparison method is useful for using models to improve antennas.

For a 160m general antenna reference I use EZNEC/4's NEC-4 calculation of a single #12 1/4 wave vertical with 120 #12 1/4 wave radials and a Norton Sommerfeld "medium" ground. It gives me a reference for all the other stuff I model for 160 that use EZNEC/4's NEC-4 with Norton-Sommerfeld "medium" ground.

I would LOVE to have a certain $100,000 worth of test equipment, an antenna test range, and the spare time to make use of it all. But lacking that I would rather make incremental progress on antennas than be paralyzed by no means for absolute measurements.

For Bud's issue I would lay a halfwave dipole for the frequency on the ground in question, using insulated wire with known insulation thickness and characteristics. Measure its resonance frequency and impedance. Trim the dipole until the resonance is at the desired frequency. Be sure to stay away from conductors in or above the ground

Stick the trimmed length in a model with Norton-Sommerfeld ground calculations and insulation specification available (EZNEC v4 or ...) and adjust the ground characteristics until the model gives you the same Fres and Zres. Use those ground numbers in the model to decide whether the radial wire is worth it.

I have sometimes also had to drop the level of the ground in the model, down from "zero" to match the measured characteristics. This may be an indication of the non-monolithic, or "partially transparent" RF ground structure that is sometimes discussed, giving the appearance of an RF ground "below ground."

Guy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>