Re: [TowerTalk] RF Connectors

To: <jsloop@austin.rr.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Connectors
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:27:38 -0800
I suggest that you're really not looking for RF connectors, but rather
something that has a reasonably good wiping contact and low RF resistance.
The powerpole connectors have quite a strong connecting force, and I can't
imagine them being vibrated or blown apart by the wind, especially since you
say the tension loads will be taken up by external components. The nice
thing about them is that the contact is a wide flat blade.  I'd also note
that when you get into the higher current versions, the force to unmate them
is pretty significant.

If you want something different, what about using the shield conductor of
something like a PL259 or TNC.  Nice screw thread termination.

There might be a low current version of the CamLok type pin connections used
for high current patch panel/temporary power distribution. They push in and
a quarter turn locks them into the socket against a pretty sturdy spring
load.