Re: [TowerTalk] insurance

To: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] insurance
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <tower@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:44:39 -0500

But the township in which I live does not require a building permit for amateur radio or radio/tv receiving towers/antennas under 70ft.

Here it's 80 feet (we have several hams on the planning commission <G>), but I had no problem getting one for a 100 foot tower. I walked in with the ROHN catalog, showed them what I wanted to do (I had made drawings), gave them the $15 for the building permit and came home.

The inspector came by once to look in the holes which already had the crushed rock in the bottoms, said it looks good, and I never saw them after that.

As far as insurrance, as Bob said, ask your agent.
In some cases you are better off with the tower as an atachment to the home and in some cases it needs to be seperate. Just depends on the company and what you want for coverage. As a seperate structure you can sometimes get additional insurrance as if it were an out building. I think it's some where around 10 to 20% of the main structure. I had a rider added for additional coverage.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

So where does that leave me? (I don't have a tower up yet.) Does that mean that the tower would *not* be considered an accessory structure?

Alan NV8A

On 12/29/04 10:53 am Jim Jarvis tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The "standard" HO-3 form policy covers accessory structures.
These are typically thought to be garages and sheds, but include any accessory structure which required a building permit.
Thus, 'attachment' is not required.

<snip>