Re: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:07:03 -0500
Frank Donovan wrote:
Doc,

For comparitive purposes, Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Dillsburg, PA
sells 2" od x 0.188" wall 4130 Cr-Mo tubing for $9.00 per foot.
This is raw Cr-Mo steel, not galvanized.

If you do not galvanize the mast it will slowly rust; however, its unlikely
to lose any significant strength in your lifetime or mine.   You can paint
the mast to delay the rust process.  Beware: a painted or galvanized
2" od mast will not fit into a 2" thrust bearing!

Could I not just spray it with some Krylon? Except at the rare point of contact most of the mast is in the clear -- the goal is to just prevent oxidation and anything that seals the surface of the ChromeMoly should accomplish that, yes?

We are located in West Central Florida about 10 miles in from
the coast, so no salt issues.

-- Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e A blessed and joy-filled New Year to all!

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Homebrew, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!