Re: [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:42:41 -0500
HHAT should be HAAT .. duh
Don
N8DE

Don Havlicek wrote:
I'd go for #2, with a small coax loop at the top of the tower, much as you have for the yagis.
Rotating the colinear isn't bad, as you will gain HHAT over side-mounting it [with no 'tower-shadow' loss].
As for lightning .. use the same method that you now do for the yagis.
Good luck!
73
Don
N8DE

K5XS@aol.com wrote:

I am putting up a small (50') dedicated VHF/UHF tower to "declutter" my main (HF) tower.

I operate a UHF repeater from my QTH, and am considering putting an omnidirectional (colinear) antenna on the tower for the repeater to take advantage of the added height over the present antenna location.

Two configurations occur to me:

1) Putting the repeater's omni antenna on the side of the tower with a cross-arm. I would need to install a cross-arm and would have a little shadowing from the tower.

2) Putting the omni antenna on the very top of the mast. Naturally, the antenna would rotate whenever I rotated the 6-meter and 2-meter horizontal yagis, and I am concerned about flex in the coax and N connector over time and about increased susceptibility to lightning (not a major risk here, but nonetheless...)

Does anyon have any thoughts? Option 2 is appealing, but it sure seems dumb to rotate an omnidirectional antenna...

Thanks.

Bernie K5XS
Arkansas