Re: [TowerTalk] Returning disputed items,was: BANISHMENT FROM TOWER TALK

To: "Al, N6TA" <n6ta@arrl.net>,"Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>,"David J Rodman MD" <rodman@buffalo.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Returning disputed items,was: BANISHMENT FROM TOWER TALK
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:36:34 -0500
Radiomart

73, Tom W8JI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al, N6TA" <n6ta@arrl.net>
To: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>; "David J Rodman
MD" <rodman@buffalo.edu>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 1:16 PM
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Returning disputed items,was:
BANISHMENT FROM TOWER TALK

> Why keep it private when it is a clear case of a
scoundrel?  I'd like to
> know.  I, too, have had bad eBay experiences but not with
ham gear.  I did
> resolve them but fraud was involved and the threat of
exposure got my full
> investment back.
> Al

Bernard(wtrone)
> Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 07:08
> To: David J Rodman MD; towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Returning disputed items,was:
BANISHMENT FROM TOWER
> TALK
>
>     I would like to know who this ebay seller is because I
have been bidding
> on some Collins equipment and your description sounds
familiar.  You can
> reply directly to me if you would rather not post the
information on the
> board.
>
>     TIA.
>
>             73,
>

>             Bernard, WA4OEJ

BANISHMENT FROM TOWER
> TALK
>

> > I only want to discuss returning disputed items.  My
point has nothing
> > to do with Tower Talk or either party in the previous
discussion.

> > At one point, I purchased a radio from a vendor on eBay.
The vendor
> > used "canned" messages describing the radios he sold
from time to time.
> > At the time I made the purchase, about a year ago, he
allowed credit
> > cards to make payment to PayPal.  Let me say, the
equipment clearly was
> > NOT as described.  Numerous faults were found, including
a broken
> > crystal filter and a repainted cabinet.  I made the
attempt to return
> > the equipment in a friendly manner.   My messages were
returned with
> > short responses indicated the gear was as advertised and
no credit would
> > be issued and no compensation would follow.  PayPal was
unable to
> > "arbitrate" the situation as the seller can refuse to
participate.
> > After some investigation, I determined this practice was
common for the
> > vendor and he used unscrupulous tactics to bid up his
own products.  As
> > a matter of fact, I proved and reported to eBay, he
bought his own
> > equipment with one eBay ID and sold with another.  In
each case, he gave
> > himself glowing feedback!  I was able to trace many
other people who
> > were victimized and reported the incidents to the Better
Business Bureau
> > and his state Attorney General (as well as eBay).
> >
> > Ultimately what saved me and allowed me to return the
equipment was the
> > credit card agreement.  The only thing the credit card
needed to see was
> > my ATTEMPT to return the merchandise.  He propmtly
returned it to me
> > stating "REFUSED". After seeing this, and documenting
the shipment
> > receipts, the card company issued the full credit.  He
was left holding
> > the bag and issued a call tag to pick up the gear.  In
his last message
> > to me, the snot said "well done".  He also added my
email addresss to a
> > "spam" mail list for which I started to receive dozens
of emails about
> > pornographic and other unsolicited subjects.
> >
> > My wife is a big eBay user and was very helpful in
tracking this down.
> > Ultimately, using the card gives one significant
economic clout.  But
> > one has to do the walk in order to satisify company.  I
tried to correct
> > the problem directly.  Now, I see he posts private
auctions on eBay.
> > This would make it much harder to track down other
people with problems.

> > I hope others find my story helpful.  I am always sorry
to hear about
> > hams getting mixed up with problem transactions and
sorrier when it
> > happend to me.
> >
> > See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting
Towers", "Wireless
> Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free,
1-800-333-9041 with any