Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G and Ice Loading

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>,TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G and Ice Loading
From: Joe - WDØM <WD0M@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:30:20 -0700
Lived on the coast of Alaska for quite a few years - we had a heck of an ice storm, resulting in up to 3 inches of ice on my tower and antennas. There is a picture on my old web site:

http://www.xyz.net/~joe/

The picture appeared in QST a couple of years ago. The tower stood tall - and we had winds of 125 mph as well. The antenna pictured is a Mosley Pro57B-40, with a Cushcraft 5 element 6 meter yagi on top. The guys were Philystran, and had a 3 inch coating of ice on them. I'd guess that it takes a lot to bring down a well-guyed Rohn 25G.

73,
Joe
WDØM (Ex-WL7M)