Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 03:36:18 -0500
One thing about that third "green wire I keep hearing about".

Only one piece of modern radio gear has that thrid green wire. On all the other pieces the green wire goes only to the power supply and the power supply is seperated from the rig by at least 6 feet of cable. If I have two rigs on the same PS they are then seperated by 12 feet. If I have rigs on two seperate supplies they are seperated by the length of the DC line *plus the length of both AC cords and the DC line to the other rig. Easily 20 feet. These are lengths that can easily develop problems. With all of the rigs on the same circuits and tied togehter through short leads to a buss I'd think we'd be eliminating ground loops.

The only case of RF feed back I ever had was when I decided to "neaten up" the mess behind my desk at a previous QTH. It took me two weeks to get it all working again.

One thing I do have if AC pickup in the one mike cord. changing the shield to work as a shield fixed that, but Icom uses the shield as part of a control circuit.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com