[TowerTalk] Hopeful it's just ice

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hopeful it's just ice
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:01:23 -0500
Well, we had two days of heavy rain and way above normal temperatures. That was followed by an abrupt fall to well below freezing and now my antennas won't turn.

It appears that the rotor PST-61 is frozen.
I did have to mount it horizontal to fit into the tower and to give it some rain protection. Unfortunately the rain was horizontal at times.

At the same time I discovered water on top of the hutch over my rig. Turns out the water was coming out of the control cable to the remote antenna switch. (remember recent thread about waterproofing cables?).

That cable jacket "used to" end inside the remote switch enclosure. So... either something has pulled the jacket out (it was tied in a knot), or there is a break in the jacket some where on the tower above the height of my desk. There was enough water setting on top of the desk to ruin the desk top. Unfortunately it was also running down into the 756 Pro. fortunately it didn't seem to collect on anything. I took the rig apart, let it dry and it seems to work well.

So, for the time being I have the remote control cable with a drip loop that has a hole in it down in the basement. That keeps any water from making it back to the rig.

Now I get to cross my fingers and hope the rotor only has water in it and that it'll work once it thaws.
I have a heat gun. Any one want to make a climb?<:-))

When it warms above freezing, in a few weeks, I'll have to see if it still works.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com