RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259

To: 'W7TMT' <patrick@dayshaw.net>,'Tower Talk' <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:27:11 -0800

Steve,

I'm curious about the comment below regarding using razor
blades for trimming...

Are you saying that was the tool used for the entire cable
end preparation or just the braid trim step?

::Yep! (WB2WIK/6)

 Please
elaborate a bit on the process you used for cable end prep.,
getting the measurements right, including the dielectric end
to braid edge dimension, cutting jigs used etc?

::Don't need any of this, except a cutting guide for cable end, because that
remains constant for all cable types.  Dielectric to braid edge measurement
for RG213/U and equivalent types = 0.00".  We always cut the braid and
dielectric flush with a single rotary cut using a single edged razor blade,
going through the cable jacket, braid and dielectric in a single cut
operation (5 seconds), stopping when the center conductor is contacted by
the blade, without nicking that conductor.  Then, the jacket alone is
removed 1/2" down from the first cut point, using the same blade.  Pull the
jacket off and discard, slip the PL-259 shell over the cable, twist PL-259
connector body onto cable, and start soldering.  Once an operator gets good
at this, this part of the operation takes about ten seconds.  It takes very
sharp, brand new razor blades, so they are usually discarded after each trim
job (in bulk, they only cost nine cents each).  I used to buy ten gross
blades every week, maybe more.  That's only $130/weekly investment in
blades, which do the job absolutely perfectly, and better than anything else
we could ever find.  We got about $6 back in recycling rebates for each
gross recycled, so that saved a little bit. (WB2WIK/6)

Thanks for your time.

::No sweat, happy trimming! (WB2WIK/6)

73
Patrick