Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX5106/TRX100HD raising fixture question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX5106/TRX100HD raising fixture question
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:29:38 -0500
I have an old Tristao 71 foot crank up with the tower raising fixture that I
have used dozens of times. UST bought out Tristao and is using Lou's designs
with improvements.

I suspect the TRX-1000 has heavy cable and a HD winch.  It looks scary but
they would not sell it if he could not pull the tower and even the mast up
from the tilted position.

What I suggest is that you check out the winch and the cable connection at
the tower leg end.  If you ever need to replace it use a foundry not a boat
place.  I use bricko blocks under my tower with 2 by 6's to support the
tower just in case.

The original winch was very flimsy and broke on me years ago.  I got a
replacement at Granger.  I notice that Northern Electric sell the same
Fulton Winch...but never use Northern Electric for the clamp.  Their machine
is for boat (horizontal pull) winches and will pull off easily in vertical
use.

The biggest problem with a 3000lb tower is getting it to the base and lining
up the base bolts...that is hard with my lightweight 1200 lb tower (I have
moved it 4 times).

Dave K4JRB