RE: [TowerTalk] Installing Copper Strap In Shack

To: <keith@dutson.net>, "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Installing Copper Strap In Shack
From: "James C. Hall, M.D." <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:31:09 -0600
Hi Keith:

In my installation (which is above my garage), I have a bus bar (Cu) under
the desk. I have more than one radio, but with my main setup, I have found
that using the ground point on my high power tuner as a 'secondary' SPG,
then coming down to the bus bar, works for me. I then use 1.5" copper strap
from the bus going down a 3" PVC pipe from the floor of the shack to an old
breaker box housing my SPG panel. I attach the copper strap to the top of
the panel and then attach more copper strap from the bottom of the SPG to
the 'first' ground rod. On the panel, I have mounted all my ICE (or
Polyphaser) lightning protectors. In the shack, I constructed a baseboard
box from the border of my operating desk to over the 3" PVC opening. This is
where all my coax, control lines, and ground strap are funneled. It is easy
to simply unscrew the top of the baseboard box to access the lines (add new
ones !).

Oh, BTW, I've been hamming for over 30 years, and I've used braid off of
RG-8-like cable for years to connect equipment grounds to the bus (indoors)
without any difficulty.

If you need further visualization of this, I could be talked into sending
you a picture of the setup. :)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL