[TowerTalk] RE: Rohn 25/Crankup loading

To: "'Pat Barthelow'" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, <mringel@bluecrab.org>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Rohn 25/Crankup loading
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:58:33 -0800
Pat:

Actually the vertical load is indeed passed thru the cables and is
transferred to the next lower section by the pulley connection to its top
thru the stiffening band around the section. This distributes the load to
all 3 legs.

Bending moment does not necessarily create axial load in the legs. It
creates axial stress in the leg sections and this is additive with the axial
stress caused by the vertical load in the legs to create the total stress in
the legs. The leg sections act like little columns between the bracing
points. When the stress value gets large enough the leg can fail thru
lateral buckling between the bracing points.

The overlap sections act like a ferrule in a fishing rod they transfer the
lateral load between them by the upper section trying to move the lower
section in one direction at the top of the overlap and the upper section
trying to move the lower section in the opposite direction at the bottom of
the overlap section. This creates equal and opposite forces which transfer
the lateral load to the lower section. It also creates a moment due to the
distance between the top and bottom of the overlap which transfers the
moment from the upper to the lower section and so on.

I have written a program that calculates this load, force and stress
transfer between the sections of crank-up towers in order to analyze them
for loading conditions for my clients.

It is tedious but not that complicated.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Regards