Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Automatic Tilt Over

To: Richard Thorne <rmthorne@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com,Antennas <antennas@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Automatic Tilt Over
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:18:17 -0800
I used to live in a HOA/CC&R controlled townhouse. I couldn't have a Ham antenna but could have a outside T.V. antenna. I got a MFJ loop ant that is 36 inches in diameter. I built a wooden 40 inch long fake T.V. antenna and attached it to the MFJ loop and put it up on the roof using a tripod and a 10 ft mast. From the street it looked like any other T.V. antenna and I never heard from the HOA police. I worked DXCC and most of the major DXpeditions using this antenna and it worked better than I expected. The fake T.V. antenna was made from a 40 inch long 1" X 1" with wooden dowels attached to look like T.V elements painted gold.

Richard Thorne wrote:

I live in a restricted neighborhood but I would like to put up a Cushcraft R8 or Hygain 640 10 through 40m vertical.

I plan on installing it on a tilt over mast so it will be out of site when not in use, I think the neighbors could live with that.

So I got to thinking it would be nice if I could hit a switch in the shack to tilt it over or tilt it up.
I was thinking I could sandwich a 2" alumium mast between a pair of 4x4's with a bolt at the top for the hinge point.

Has anyone seen such a device. I'm sure this will have to be home brewed using an air cylinder or maybe a rotor and some limit switches.

Any ideas?

Rich Thorne ARS: N5ZC AMA: N5ZC Amarillo, TX

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY