Re: [TowerTalk] Bandpass filters - ICE vs Dunestar

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bandpass filters - ICE vs Dunestar
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:39 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bandpass filters - ICE vs Dunestar

Judging by their published specs, the Dunestar 600 bandswitched bandpass filter appear to be usefully better than the ICE 491 unit. Can anyone who has used both comment on whether this is true, and whether $110 per filter is worth it? Are there other considerations? I will be using band decoders to control the filters, so the lack of an external controller for the Dunestar is not a factor.

I have the Dunestar, and I have helped my buddy W7WW with His ICE 491, so I am familiar with both.

The Dunestar can be rewired for either +12 volt band selection, or ground lead band selection. The ICE only supports one type (I think it's +12, but I'm not sure). Depending on the output of your band decoder and other accessories, this may or may not be of concern.

W7WW has twice blown caps in his ICE 10 meter filter. I have seen postings on the reflectors of other people who have also blown the 10 meter caps, so something is marginal there.

In the ICE design, the signal path goes through 12 sets of relay contacts, 10 of which are normally closed. W7WW has complained about intermittent signal dropouts on receive, where he either has to physically smack the box, or transmit one DIT to break through what is apparently an insulating film on one of the normally closed relay contacts.

W7WW and I both have all of our antennas in close proximity, and the ICE and Dunestar both provide enough isolation for so2r at high power.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ