RE : [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast

To: "'MIKE GREENWAY'" <K4PI@peoplepc.com>,"'Barkey, Patrick M.'" <pbarkey@bsu.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE : [TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast
From: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:33:12 -0000
I drove some adjusted plastic rods into the end and bottom of 4 x 6
meters 50 mmm x 3mm alu. tubing. All were bolted together through
adjusted allu. sleeves. I just took care the plastic rods won't absorb
humidity. Indeed I did remember when I went to stone groves with my
father ( half a century ago ) Splitting  of stones of about 6 cub meters
was done simply by drilling holes then putting dry wood rods in the
holes and put water on it. It took about an hour to split the stone off.
No explosives during were allowed during wartime.......and no choc waves
damage which was a great advantage of this method.

So just be aware not all wood specie may be used.
Looking at the bright bleu sky today, I just wonder why nobody thought
about bleu...... hi hi
BTW high wind torsion  on this allu. mast is about 10 to 12 degrees. Not
dramatic for a 3 elements beam when stations are real DX. On the other
hand I gues torsion on the rotor will be somewhat less with this upset.
But that?s just a feeling. Someone can confirm correctness ?
Have fun all.

Jos on4kj    ( Also oo4kj in 2005 and OR5G in, contest