Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Beads & Sleeves

To: <k2xx@swva.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Beads & Sleeves
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:41:17 -0500
> Tom, do you want the impedance to be largely resistive so
that it's not
> so frequency dependent and the ferrite is effective over a
wider
> frequency range?

Since we almost never know the sign of the reactance in the
interconnection, we never know how another reactance will
affect current in the random system. It's safe to say we
almost never know the common mode characteristics of the
system, and it has little if anything to do with the
differential impedance (i.e. it is a 600 ohm audio line).

If the system has capacitive reactance and you add a bead
that has the same value of inductive reactance, you will
maximize the unwanted currents. Unless XL is twice or more
Xc, you increase the unwanted currents by adding beads.

It's both a bandwidth and effectiveness issue.

73 Tom