[TowerTalk] Coax Choke Balun Effective Lengths

To: w3yy@cox.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Choke Balun Effective Lengths
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:06:27 -0800
Whoa....

Again with all due respect...the coax coil balun requires the RF to transit the coax's complete length inside the coax, even that which is coiled into a choke... before performing it's choking function by presenting a high impedance to current flow on the outside of the shield. Therefore IMHO the length of the coax coil IS significant and must be counted in calculating lengths in phasing harnesses....If all that is required is equal lengths of two runs, and if the two coax choke baluns are precisely equal lengths, then I guess their lengths can be ignored, because they are equal.
Do a google search combining K1TTT +Choke Balun and you will find an excellent Choke Impedance/number of turns/frequency chart for various choke designs..

73, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com