Re: [TowerTalk] Moving to AZ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Moving to AZ
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:09:05 -0800
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 06:45:34PM -0000, Paul Playford wrote:
> Deed restrictions (CC&R's) are very popular in the Phoenix area, so be
> careful.  We are in our second house in this area and each time I included
> "subject to buyers approval of deed restrictions, if any" in my offers to
> purchase.  This does not raise the ugly antenna warning flag but gets the
> job done.
>
> And it did get us out of two contracts.  Pissed off the sellers because they
> were not aware of the restrictions until their title company produced them.
>
> Horse property usually refers to rural areas.  Maricopa county (Phoenix is
> in Maricopa county) zoning usually requires at least 1 acre of land for each
> residence, this is known as R-43 zoning.  But this zoning may vary, the
> number after the R will give you an idea of how much land is required.
>
> I believe that Mesa has the most restrictive tower zoning.  35 feet maximum.
> And when we were looking for our current house Glendale (West side of
> Phoenix) was the least restrictive.
>
> There is a lot of information about Maricopa county on the internet.
> http://www.maricopa.gov/
>
> I did forward your email to the Central Arizona DX Associations reflector so
> you may get comments from others.
>
> de Paul, W8AEF

Even "horse property" may not equate to lack of tower restrictions.
When I moved to Tucson in 1984, I looked at a small development of 3.3
acre lots, figuring I would have room for more than one tower and some
nice long wires.  I backed out when I found that they allowed no
antennas at all (I even asked if a waiver was possible, but it was not).
They had absolutely no restrictions on animals, so before I left I told
the sales agent that I should have taken up pig farming instead of ham
radio.  She got the point, but of course it wasn't her decision.

A friend almost bought a 20 acre mini-ranch southeast of town until he
found that not only were there antenna restrictions, but there was a
limit of 5 animals, total (IIRC, he had 2 horses and 4 dogs.)

The best bet is probably to find a location which was subdivided a long
time ago before the developers' lawyers got involved.  A local ham
talked to a builder friend and asked if his development had antenna
restrictions.  He actually didn't know, but when he checked the
boiler-plate CC&Rs, found that there were indeed restrictions and
resolved to remove them (one of the good guys).

73,
Bob N7XY
Bainbridge Island, WA