[TowerTalk] SSV foundation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SSV foundation
From: EL34GUY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:10:57 EST
Hello Everyone,

Its been over 60 degrees here today and Im starting to think about putting
up an 80ft Rohn SSV tower I have. According to the rohn documentation, I have a
 choice to either go with a mat foundation that's one big chunk of concrete
or  with a pier pad configuration. The pier/pad looks like it depends more on
earth  support than the sheer weight of the concrete in the mat configuration.
The  pier/pad requires 3 holes vs 1 for the mat. Does anyone know which
foundation  method yields the best support for the tower? I havent seen
anywhere
where  theres a sq ft rating for either method. Im in a fairly windy area on a
hilltop  and would like the best strength possible. My soil is also very dense
and has a  lot of clay in it so it packs very well. BTW the sections Im putting
up are  7,6,5,4. Thanks for any feedback you might have. 73

Mark
W0NCL