Re: [TowerTalk] bobtail curtain

To: <epetek1@att.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bobtail curtain
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:39:19 -0500
> Some years ago there was a ham, I think in South Carolina
who was making up and selling bobtail curtain antennas.
Haven't seen an ad or even know if he is still around but
might be worth checking out- Pete W2LL

The most complicated part of a Bobtail is the matching
system. I can't imagine ordering such a simple antenna,
since the matching network is by far the worse thing to come
up with.

For anyone who thinks they can feed a Bobtail or similar
with coax at a current point, have fun! Just don't think it
works like the clean layout created by voltage feed would
work.

For 40 meters (or above), I'd just use a dipole at 60 or 80
feet. For 80 the Bobtail has some potential, since verticals
work much better at lower frequencies.

73 Tom