Re: [TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:04:52 -0600

Precisely the reason that grease (and tape) isn't the kind of thing I was seeking. The whole goal here is to make portable operation easy enough that it's not an ordeal (FD can be an ordeal.. it's once a year).

Haven't been following the thread very closely. But one thing that might work is
a long balloon (as opposed to a round balloon, like the ones that are used to make
the balloon animals. Cut off the ends and slip over the connectors. Seems like they
may be small enough to make a good fit on the cable in their un-inflated condition
(or at least close) and they will clearly stretch to fit over the connectors based on
their size when inflated.

Maybe you keep the inflation end intact since it seems a bit tighter and use
it on the UP side of the connection. And just cut off the other end of the balloon.
I think you can roll them on pretty easily and they should remain intact at least
through a Field Day weekend.

--John W0UN