Re: [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?

To: <w2lk@earthlink.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:52:41 -0500
> Anyone have a good source for quality RG-11?
>
> I need to install a moderately long run for cable tv.

Les,

We used a great deal of F-11 (like RG11) in CATV MATV
systems. It was a very popular cable when the runs were too
long for F6 (RG6). It has about half the loss of F6 (or RG6)
cables. The longer runs in my house are all F11. We ran
miles of it for long drops and shorter trunk cables.

All of my receiving antenna trunk cables are F11that is
flooded for direct burial.

Most outlets like MCM carry good F connectors for F11
cables. They probably have the cable also. You can almost
certainly get some from a cable TV installer. They will
normally throw away reel ends less than a few hundred feet
long. It is very popular in rural areas where homes might be
back several hundred feet from the road.

I use CommScope F-11 style cable with dual shields. One
shield is bonded to the dielectric, the other is a loose
weave that floats over the foil. I use snap-and-seal Thomas
and Betts connectors. The number of shields doesn't matter
at all in your application, so don't get sucked into
thinking a quad shield is better or has less loss. Just buy
a good quality cable that allows you to find matching
connectors.  I normally buy 10,000 ft drops direct from
CommScope.

73 Tom