[TowerTalk] FW: World Class Station Conundrum - help!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: World Class Station Conundrum - help!
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:14:19 -0800
Hello Scott,

I admire your ambition and careful long term thought and care with
respect to making decisions.   Now you  have an ally speaking up, in
Ron, below.  With the huge investment in time and money to develop
your site, I would think the evolution of the neighborhood would be
a constant source of worry that would wear on you as you get deeper
iinto construction of your dream station, and simultaneously, the
neighborhood encroaches...

I would suggest getting the remote site, and once on that path,
folks like Ron will come out of the woodwork (ether?)  to assist,
become part of your 'team' .  With help on the ground to build,  you
also may also want to keep abreast of  the rapidly evolving state of
the art in remote control operation of ham  radio stations.  This
would allow you to contest from in town, using your dream station in
the quiet outback.  802.11 broadband solutions seem like they could
make the human interface very comfortable while operating remotely.
There is a very good on line magazine/interest group that concerns
remote operations  that has much  useful info for the ham community
who operate repeaters or remotely controlled stations.  Check out:

http://www.remotemagazine.com/

When I visited S5 (Slovenia) at WRTC 2000, the Slovenian Contest
community seemed to have it down to an art/science to build remote
contest stations, often in the hills nearby their home towns.  quite
a few shipping containers sitting on the hills with HF and VHF
stations within them.   I guess they also have the usual
zoning/digital noise problems that we face...

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow  AA6EG
(831) 646-0388    aa6eg@hotmail.com