[TowerTalk] Taking Apart Aluminum

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taking Apart Aluminum
From: ABowenN4OO <abowen@nettally.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:26:13 -0500
I have used several methods with varying degrees of success. Mother
Nature's adhesive is pretty powerful stuff.

1. WD40 and PB Blaster seem to pentrate pretty well. You can enhance the
penetration sometimes by heating the outer piece lightly. Go easy so that
you do not destroy them tempering of the aluminum or cause the penetrant to
evaporate.
2. Heat the parts and then immediately spray cold water on the surface.
Sometimes this is enough to loosen the part enough to get the penetrating
mix further in.
3. Use a piece of aluminum rod or tube that will fit inside the outer
piece. Tap lightly so that you do not flare the edges of the inner piece
and cause futher interference problems. Sometimes, I have been able to find
a piece of PVC pipe to use as a ram rod. This seems to work better than
aluminum on aluminum, depending on length.
4. Use a 12-24" piece of PVC pipe that fits over the smaller diameter tube.
Ram the larger piece by forcefully sliding the PVC against the edge of the
larger diameter tubing. I have had reasonable good success dislodging
tubing using 1" and 3/4" PVC pipe. If the edges of the PVC pipe get
rounded, saw (or file) off a small piece and establish a fresh, square end.
Rotate the tubing while banging away with the sliding piece of pipe.
5. Frequently, the end of the tubing will be out of round. In this case,
you are better off just cutting off the eccentric portion and then trying
one of the above.

INK N4OO