[TowerTalk] TH7DX Balun Was W1JR, Now BN-86

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH7DX Balun Was W1JR, Now BN-86
From: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:35:26 -0800
Well team....

I know we tossed this one to death many times before... But here is what I
just found on my TH7.

I installed a home brew W1JR type balun on my TH7 when I put the antenna up
last year. I was not happy with the SWR curves when I tested the antenna
after installation. I finally decided to do something about it.

I just removed the W1JR type balun and installed a Hy-Gain BN-86.

The SWR curves now measure about the same as what is spelled out in the
manual. Before, the SWR on 20 meters was never below 2:1. And on 15, it was
never lower than 2.5:1 anywhere in the band.

When I was testing the W1JR type with  my MFJ 259 on top of the tower, I
noticed that the impedance would never drop below 40 Ohms. With the BN-86,
now it will.

The W1JR balun is home brew. 7 turns of RG-142 on a FT-240-61 core wound
all on the same side of the core. Not a cross over type winding.

The balun was installed into an outdoor plastic electrical box with brass
studs through the sides for hooking to the matching section of the TH7. I
used the same RG-213 coax jumper from the end of my 1/2" Heliax to the
balun. No other changes... Just replaced the balun.

I know that Steve, K7LXC, mentioned in the tri-bander report that they had
some difficulty with the balun selection on the TH7.

Hmmmmmm....

73
Jim W7RY