Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-240 Ultraflex/Heat

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-240 Ultraflex/Heat
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:34:30 -0800
LMR240 @ 150 MHz -> 3dB/100ft -> 0.03 dB in a foot.  -> 0.7% in a foot..
1000W being carried, that's 7W being lost in a foot.  I think you'd feel
that, if you had something to compare to.. your hand probably covers about
1/3 foot, so that's like holding a 2W heater in your hand (compare to a
small christmas tree bulb.. the C7 small bulbs used in nightlights are 7W,
and too hot to touch)

Isn't QRO fun??

(contemplate, if you will, what happens if a waveguide flange on the 400kW
(CW) S-band transmitter of the Deep Space Network isn't perfectly mated...
Even a return loss of 50 dB (VSWR <1.01:1) is still 4W reflected back, and
50dB is a very, very impressive match)