[TowerTalk] LaZV - 4square/spitfire alternative

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] LaZV - 4square/spitfire alternative
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:45:50 -0500
         I use something similar on 160.  My driven element
is a 180' shunt-fed tower, with a director and reflector made
of lazy V's.  I only have this configured for NE/SW at the
moment, but modeling shows it should work fine for all
4 directions if orthogonal elements are grounded.  If all
parasitics are grounded, the pattern is omnidirectional.
Models show the gain to be about 5 dB over a single
vertical, which seems to be borne out in comparisons
with a 100' inv-V reference antenna.  F/B is decent but I
normally use Beverages for RX on 160.

         The elevation pattern of this antenna is shown
in BLACK in the first plot on the page below, with the
physical configuration in the next plot down.

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_10.htm

As I stated on my webpage, this is a combination of
ideas from W1FV, K1VR, W2GD and K2TW, but is
somewhat unique in implementation to either the
FVR Spitfire or W2GD's Sandy Hook antenna.  For 40
this antenna would be quite manageable with only
one 45' support required (i.e. the driven element).

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  A good ground IS required.