[TowerTalk] Big Grip & Shackle Questions

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Big Grip & Shackle Questions
From: "Ron Hylton" <ad7l@hevanet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:28:52 -0800
All -

I had a couple of questions for my Rohn 45 project that uses Phillystran
HPTG 6700I and the associated Big Grips designed for Phillystran.

If you look at the Phillystran Technical Bulletin 105-4/96 for Amateur
applications, it shows "articulated hardware", where back-to-back shackles
are used to connect to the tower plate (looks like a torque arm) and to the
anchor.  What is the motivation behind this?  Is there a problem with just
using 1 shackle to attach to the torque arm?

My other concern is the statement in the Preformed Line Products literature
about the collapse of the thimble if you don't use big enough diameter
hardware.  Because of the hole size in the torque arms I'm using, I'm forced
to use a 3/8" shackle.  This is a pretty small diameter compared to the
large thimble used with the Phillystran.  PLP suggests placing a piece of
pipe over the shackle pin to remedy this, but I've never heard of anybody
doing this.

Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but I thought I'd see what the group has to say
about these issues.  By the way, the Phillystran will terminate at a 502
insulator at the lower end, and 1/4" EHS will complete the trip down to the
ground for the last 15' or so.

Thanks and 73,
Ron  AD7L
Hillsboro, Oregon