Re: [TowerTalk] lighting "umbrella"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lighting "umbrella"
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:13:17 -0500
 > Jim Jarvis wrote:
 > Let's assume that you have a really good dissipative
 > ground system from said tower.  Multiple rods, multiple
 > radials, smooth strap transitions from tower to gnd, etc.
 > And let's further assume that you run 4" strap around the
 > perimeter to the AC service entrance ground.
 > ... snip
 > Consider that you now have a transformer.

All of my gear operates off a 12vdc battery bank so except
when being recharged it will all be isolated from ground.

Everything entering the house (grid, antenna feedlines,
rotor control cable, telephone, etc.) passes through
lightning arrestors mounted on a bulkhead (the grid
feed passes through a whole-house surge protector).

If I am tardy in disconnecting the gear as a storm
approaches I do therefore have some protection.

Once I disconnect the antenna and rotator control
lines the only physical connection to the outside
world is through the grid and the telephone lines.

I can disconnect the phone line at the entry point
but the power grid is a bit more problematic!

If the 150 foot "ball umbrella" is accurate then I
guess much of the house would be covered, but not
all.

One subcontractor said that a friend with a steel
building attached lightning rods along the ridge
-- is that generally recommended or is it better
to ground the shell well so that the energy wicks
off versus firing off a few sharp points?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

           |_|___|_|
           | | & | |
              {|
      /\      {|
     /  \     {|
============\ #    West Central Florida

Ham PC = 100% Linux Novell-Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, MFJ, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!