Re: [TowerTalk] ground and conductivity

To: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground and conductivity
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:12:06 -0800
At 02:36 PM 2/28/2005, Roger K8RI on Tower wrote:

> > At 01:14 PM 2/28/2005, Jim Jones wrote:
> >>If fresh water is bad then how come dx'ing is better when water table is
>
>Fresh water is a long way from pure. It generally contains a lot of salts
>where as distilled or deionized water is highly corrosive as it *wants*
>metals to create those salts.
>
><snip>

>Years ago I did a lot of conductivity testing, but it was all in ohms per
>cubic centimeter.
>What's the S?
One's the inverse of the other..
Siemens == mhos
Conductivity is in Siemens/meter (S/m) (or, more commonly for water,
microsiemens/cm)
Resistivity is in ohm meters  (or, more commonly for water Megohm-cm)

For instance, cartridge deionizers used for process water often have an
alarm that indicates when resistivity drops below 2 Megohm-cm