Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: substandard aluminum?

To: "'BobK8IA@aol.com'" <BobK8IA@aol.com>, W4EF@dellroy.com,wa3gin@erols.com, jimjarvis@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [BULK] - Re: substandard aluminum?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:03:53 -0800

Re Telrex 40m yagis: You know which model KS8S had, Mike?  Performance-wise
the 3 el on 29' boom model was marginal while the 3 el on 46' boom played
very,
very well. I used them both, at various stations, during my contesting in
the
60s-70s in eight-land.

I do recall some problems with element tips though. There was a satisfactory

work around, although I cant specifically recall what it was, nor do I think

Ercolino was any help.

73, Bob K8IA
ex-K8HLR

::One comment I might make on the Telrex issue...I never had a 40m beam, but
did own some of the older HF monobanders for 10-15-20 meters, as well as
some 6m and 2m beams from the 1960s and they not only played well but
withstood the rigors of northeast ice/wind storms just fine.  Biggest
problem was in the old days they used plated hardware, not SS, and it would
all rust within 3-4 years and require replacement eventually.  In their
"later" days with the newly developed tribanders I had some good belly
laughs over their "tech support."  The TB5EM we installed resonated out of
the band on all three bands and we suspected bad (or wrong) traps.  The
management at that time (c. 1982 or so) provided two helpful replies: (1) It
was those junk Japanese radios we hams were all using that caused the
problem, and (2) The antenna wasn't up long enough.  The implication was
that Telrex tribanders improve with age, like a fine wine.  I didn't wait
long enough to find out and replaced it with a KT34A that evidently was
factory pre-aged, because it tuned up just fine.  -WB2WIK/6