Re: [TowerTalk] Formulas for Free Space Path Loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Formulas for Free Space Path Loss
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:33:32 -0600
Welcome Ahmed,

Sounds like you are asking about Wireless-G (802.11g) network range.  I have
a network running between the house and shack.  The router (Linksys WRT54GS)
is on the south side of the house in the XYL's office and provides routing
for a satellite Internet connection.  The shack is a separate building
(apartment) about 50 feet north of the house.  There is a bridge (Linksys
WET54G) located on the south side of the shack and connected to a network
switch that connects 5 PCs for operating positions.  With this configuration
I get only 20 percent signal quality via wireless.  I added a range expander
(Linksys WRE54G) in the garage which is about half way between the router
and bridge to get 100 percent quality.

If you use a decent parabolic dish with unobstructed line of site to
destination antenna, you should be able to get good quality connections at
1000 feet or more.  A friend of mine got a medium quality connection to his
laptop located 400 feet due south of the southern window in the XYL's office
where the router is located.

Hope this information is useful for you.

73, Keith NM5G / VP8DXL