[TowerTalk] GKK, big antennas & location

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GKK, big antennas & location
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:47:09 -0500
I commented on Peter Sundstrand and Tom Rauch's
comments off-reflector.  Brief summary:  I'm aware of
the aurora, although I didn't mention it.  The
tendency is NOT to notice things that AREN'T present...
and now that Peter mentioned it, the arrival rate of sigs from
SM DID drop once the aurora kicked in.  Peter obviously lived the
experience, while we were busy with the stations that we could hear.

One thought from K8JI merits public comment:
<snip>
I'm not impressed when someone 50% closer to DX
stations with a 75% saltwater path does better than an
inland station with twice the distance and a path 75% over
land.
<snip>

The difference in propagation between Northern VT, where we
lived for 10 years, and coastal MD, where we now live, is
remarkable.  I attribute it to proximity to the Chesepeake Bay,
more than just being 350 miles further south.  (Although we
WERE impacted by aurora in VT quite often.)

But the point is...if you have the chance to select location...
it might pay to spend some time talking with locals and playing
with your mobile rig, to see what the qth sounds like.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org