Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?

To: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding radials: solid or stranded?
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:08:48 +0000
Solid is the way to go.  As I understand it, stranded wire can oxidize and
therefore lose "contact" or have high resistance between each strand.  Since
it's the surface area of wire that carries the electrons, if the strands lose
contact with each other, strike energy may be forced to flow down a single or
less than all the strands in the wire and therefore losing current carrying
capability.  Solid does not have that problem.  Both Polyphaser and ICE, two
expert companies, as well as NEC, all specify solid conductors for grounding.
Phil  KB9CRY