Re: [TowerTalk] MicroDEM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MicroDEM
From: "Frank Donovan" <donovanf@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:01:31 -0500
Scott,

If you're willing to use towers over 100 feet tall, there's
not a reason in the world why a QTH with relatively
flat terrain cannot be fully competitive with a hilltop QTH.
I realize that flat can be hard to find in many areas of PA!
The real advantage of a hilltop QTH is when you cannot
to use towers under 100 feet tall.  Mountaintops are
great for VHF and above, but generally not as
competitive as flatter sites on HF.

Many hilltop sites have liabilities in some directions due
to rising or highly irregular terrain. Its often easier to find
a relatively flat site with fewer liabilities.

If you're interested in building a competitive station, its
difficult to overcome to disadvantages of a site with
terrain that rises significantly (a rise of 200 feet in 2 miles
should affect only the very lowest angle propagation).

Good luck with your search!

73!
Frank
W3LPL